125th Anniversary Rocky Plain SchoolPrint Page
A Plaque commemorates the 125th Anniversary of the Rocky Plain School. The school was restored in 2008 and is now used as a hall for the community.
The residents of Rocky Plain have built a schoolhouse 14 feet by 24 feet, the walls being of slab, the roof of shingles. The building is lathed and plastered, and the walls are 7 feet high. There is about £16 is required to finish the lathing and plastering, and steps have been taken to ask the Department of Public Instruction to give that amount. Forms, desks, and a table have been supplied by the residents. As yet, there is no teacher, but the outhouses require completion. Messrs. Fletcher, Billmann, and J. W. Smith, the working committee deserve all praise for their exertions, and we trust the Hon. Minister of Public Instruction will give the necessary assistance. The nearest school is Adaminaby, 15 miles away. About 25 children will attend the school at Rocky Plain, on an average. This agitation for a school was commenced, fifteen months ago. At the present time, a young lady at Rocky Plain would willingly take charge of the school, the outhouse of which will be finished in a fortnight.
Manaro Mercury, and Cooma and Bombala Advertiser (NSW),
9 May 1883.
|Address:||1690 Eucumbene Road, Rocky Plain School, Rocky Plain, 2628|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.224962|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1883|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2008|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 15th June, 2008|