Formation of the First Lions ClubPrint Page
Fountain presented to the City of Lismore to commemorate the formation of the first Australian Lions Club.
The first Australian Lions Club was formed in Lismore on July 1st, 1947, largely through the efforts of William R.Tresise. While serving as National President of Apex, and nearing 40, the compulsory retirement age of that organisation, Bill Tresise unsuccessfully urged the formation of a senior Apex movement.
A chance 1946 meeting in the US with a past International President of Lions (Fred Smith, from California) led quickly to interviews with Lions Past International President Ed Barry, of Arkansas, and then with the Secretary-General and Founder of the Lions Association, Melvin Jones, in Chicago. Tresise was appointed a provisional District Governor, with power to form Lions Clubs in his home country.
He called a meeting of the business and professional men in his home town of Lismore, where he operated a plaster and hardware business, to hear the Lions story. An eloquent speaker, Bill Tresise soon convinced enough members to form the club. The first President, Jim Brown, proudly received the Club's official Charter in September of the same year.
|Address:||Molesworth Street & Bruxner Highway, Lismore, 2480|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.812959|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||29-September-1947|
|Actual Event End Date:||29-September-1947|
This fountain was presented to the City of Lismore in September 1967 by members of the Australian Lions Clubs to commemorate the formation of the first club on 29th September 1947
William R. Tresise Australian founder
Bruno Friedlander District Governor 1967-68
William R. Tresise Memorial Fountain and Plaza
This refurbished fountain and Lions Plaza was re-dedicated to the spirit of Lionism by Augustin Soliva, International President of the International Association of Lions Clubs on Wednesday 21 May 1997 during the 50th Anniversary National Convention held in Lismore
[ Names of Clubs ]