50th Anniversary of Guide Dogs New South WalesPrint Page
Bust of Dr Arnold Cook commemorates the 50th Anniversary of Guide Dogs in New South Wales.
In 1950, Dr Arnold Cook returned home from London with Dreena - the first Guide Dog in Australia. Two years later, Australia`s first Guide Dogs Centre began operating from two old tramcars in Perth. From this rather humble beginning, Guide Dog Associations were established in several states to raise funds for clients to fly to Perth for training with Guide Dogs.
After countless flights across the country, a second Guide Dogs Centre was founded in Victoria in 1962. Guide Dogs for the Blind Association of New South Wales was founded by volunteers in 1957 and incorporated in 1962. The Association joined by way of merger in 1991 with the ACT Guide Dog Association Limited to form Guide Dog Association of New South Wales and the ACT. In 2003 the Association changed its name to Guide Dogs NSW/ACT to reflect current thinking and style.
|Address:||1 Spinks Drive, Guide Dog Training Centre, Glossodia, 2756|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.537946|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2007|