Gaiarine Gardens Print Page
Gaiarine Gardens was created to recognise the sister city relationship between the City of Botany Bay and Gaiarine, Italy. The Gardens were officially opened in January, 1992. The opening coincided with the 10th anniversary of the sister city relationship.
The mosaic at the entrance to the gardens depicts both a Banksia and an Olive tree branch intertwined, symbolising the friendship between Botany and Gaiarine. The Banksia is a tree which grows naturally in this district. The olive is, of course, found in Italy. All the plants and attractions in Gaiarine Gardens follow the theme of being common to both Australian and Italian gardens.
A plaque in the gardens depicts the history of the Bersaglieri Corps which is very similar to the Returned Services League (RSL) in Australia. They are the core of the Italian army and are highly regarded because they are soldiers who run instead of walk.
This plaque, donated by the President of the Bersaglieri in Gaiarine, Mr Benny Pessotto, represents the history of the corps which was founded in 1836. Around the central figure on the plaque are various depictions of the Bersaglieri in action, (top) the conquest of Rome, (middle) riding bicycles and motorcycles and (bottom) the corps activities today.
Sister cities are cooperative agreements between towns and cities, and politically distinct areas to promote cultural and commercial ties.
|Address:||Banksia & Ocean Streets, Pagewood, 2035|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.942141|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||January-1992|