www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of the Redlands BuildingPrint Page Print this page

28-December-2016
28-December-2016

Photographs supplied by John Huth

A plaque commemorates the centenary of the Redlands Building.

Concordia’s Stephen Street Campus is home to the Redlands Building, one of Toowoomba’s historic buildings that has been identified by the National Trust as being worthy of preservation. Redlands was built in 1889 for Mr Edmund Wilcox, an Englishman who purchased approximately 30 acres of land close to the town of Toowoomba and erected Redlands as a home for his wife Fanny and children.

Mr Wilcox planted the Bunya and Norfolk pines and created the “teardrop” garden complete with fountain at the front of the building. The family played croquet and tennis and enjoyed social evenings with friends from time to time.

Subsequent owners were Dr Alex Horne and Mr Edward Farmer. Upon Mr Farmer’s death in 1944, the house and land were sold to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia, Queensland District.

 

 

 

Location

Address:154 Stephen Street, Concordia College, Harristown, 4350
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.573292
Long: 151.929794
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Actual Event STart Date:1889
Actual Event End Date:1989

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 27th August, 1989
Front Inscription

This Plaque Was Unveiled
To Mark The Centenary
Of The Redlands Building
           By
    O. J. Janetzki
Headmaster August 27, 1989

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design