www.monumentaustralia.org.au

50th Anniversary of Rotary International (Mount Keira Summit Park)Print Page Print this page

02-January-2016
02-January-2016

Photographs supplied by Russell Byers / Sandra Brown
Mount Keira Summit Park development and construction of Queen Elizabeth Drive commemorate the 50th anniversary of Rotary International. The land for the parkland was donated partly by E.Vickery & Sons in 1925 and Australian Iron & Steel Pty.Ltd. in 1957. 

In 1955 the Rotary Club of Wollongong, with the active support of local government and businesses, constructed the summit lookout. In 2005, the Summit Park refurbishment provided an opening up of magnificent vistas of the coastal plain from Kiama to Sydney, and is managed as an annex of the Wollongong Botanic Garden. It contains 9.4 hectares of land and it is a major tourist destination, many visitors to Wollongong climbing the Ken Ausburn Track. 

Rotary International is an international service organization whose stated purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. It is a secular organization open to all persons regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, or political preference.

The first Rotary Club was formed when attorney Paul P. Harris called together a meeting of three business acquaintances in downtown Chicago, at Harris' friend Gustave E. Loehr's office in the Unity Building on Dearborn Street on February 23, 1905.

Location

Address:Queen Elizabeth Drive, Mount Keira Summit Lookout, Mount Keira , 2500
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.40249
Long: 150.857102
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Approx. Event Start Date:1905
Approx. Event End Date:1955

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1955
Front Inscription
THIS PARKLAND WAS DONATED PARTLY BY 
E.VICKERY & SONS LIMITED
          IN 1925 AND PARTLY BY
AUSTRALIAN IRON & STEEL LIMITED 
                     IN 1957.

          THE CONSTRUCTION OF
QUEEN ELIZABETH DRIVE AND DEVELOPMENT OF 
     THE PARK WAS UNDERTAKEN BY 

THE WOLLONGONG ROTARY CLUB
TO COMMEMORATE THE FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF
   ROTARY INTERNATIONAL IN 1954 ~ 1955.


THE PROJECT WAS ONLY MADE POSSIBLE BY
THE VOLUNTARY EFFORTS OF MANY ORGANISATIONS 
WHO GENEROUSLY PROVIDED FINANCE, EQUIPMENT AND LABOUR.
THE PARK IS AN EXAMPLE OF TRUE COMMUNITY SERVICE. 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design