Conservation of the Sulman & Power BuildingPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the conservation of the Sulman & Power Building.
In 1889 a college for women within the University of Sydney was established and endowed by an Act of the New SOuth Wales Parliament. This was the culmination of a process that began in 1887 when, six years after the formal admission of women to the University of Sydney "in complete equality with men", a public meeting was held to discuss the desirability of establishing a residential college for women. Over the course of the next five years, funds were raised enabling the college to open in March 1892 in temporary accommodation in "Strathmore", a rented house in Glebe. It had four resident and four non-resident (or affiliate) students.
Granted land by the University on the southern edge of campus, the college moved to its own building in May 1894. Designed by the architectural firm of Sulman & Power, the College's first permanent home still forms the heart of the present building complex and is heritage listed.
In 1894 the Main Building opened with accommodation for 26 students. Designed by Sulman & Power it cost £10,056, a substantial amount of money for the time. In 1916 the College expanded, building "The Cottage" for an extra 6 students
|Address:||15 Carillon Avenue, The Women's College, University of Sydney, Newtown, 2042|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.890826|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 1st May, 2001|
Her Excellency, Professor Marie Bashir AC
Governor of New South Wales
a student of the College 1950 - 1955
and Chair of Council 1982 - 1992
on 6 May 2001
to commemorate the conservation
of the Sulman & Power Building