www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Rotary International Print Page Print this page

21-March-2015
21-March-2015

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A plaque commemorates the restoration of the Mechanics Institute to commemorate the centenary of Rotary International in 2005. 

Rotary International is an international service organization whose stated purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. It is a secular organization open to all persons regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, or political preference.

The first Rotary Club was formed when attorney Paul P. Harris called together a meeting of three business acquaintances in downtown Chicago, at Harris' friend Gustave E. Loehr's office in the Unity Building on Dearborn Street on February 23, 1905.

Location

Address:8 School Street, California Gully Mechanics Institute, California Gully, 3556
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.734668
Long: 144.256941
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Actual Event STart Date:23-February-1905
Actual Event End Date:23-February-2005

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 23rd February, 2005
Front Inscription
ROTARY
INTERNATIONAL


The first Rotary Meeting was held on 23rd February 1905
To celebrate the Centenary of Rotary International this historic building
the California Gully Mechanics Institute, Circa 1853,
has been fully restored by the Members and Partners of
The Rotary Club of Eaglehawk,
in time for re-opening on 20th February 2005 by
Cr Rod Fyffe, Mayor City of Greater Bendigo.

Rob Layton PHF        Gordon McKern PDG, PHF
President 2004-05       Hon. Secretary
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design