Centenary of Bongaree JettyPrint Page
|Address:||Toorbul Street, Bongaree, 4507|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.083941|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1912|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2012|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||May-2012|
1912 - 2012
Centenary of Bongaree Jetty
Prior to 1900 few people visited Bribie Island, and without a jetty landing passengers was difficult. In 1912 the first jetty was built here as a private initiative by the Brisbane Tug & Steamship Co. to enable regular excursions from Brisbane.
Over the next 40 years many steamships, commencing with the purpose S. S. Koopa brought thousands of people on day trips and for camping & fishing holidays. Visits to Bribie Island became so popular that by the 1920s this jetty was enlarged to provide three passenger walkways.
In 1924 a road was built from the Jetty to Ocean Beach. The jetty has been refurbished many times over the years but continues to be a popular focal point.
Commemorating 100 years of the jetty`s service to the community
Bribie Island Historical Society