www.monumentaustralia.org.au

50 Years Service Coonabarabran Rotary Club (Neilsen Park- Wishing Well)Print Page Print this page

Wishing Well -Nielsen Park : July 2014
Wishing Well -Nielsen Park : July 2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams
A plaque detailing the history of the park and the wishing well marks 50 years of service to the community by Coonabarabran Rotary Club.

Location

Address:John & Essex Streets, Nielsen Park , Coonabarabran , 2357
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.271889
Long: 149.276817
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Approx. Event Start Date:1949
Approx. Event End Date:1999

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1999
Front Inscription
"THE WISHING WELL - NIELSEN PARK
Near this point Albert CROXON built an impressive new house.
Constructed on the finest pit sawn timber , on piers 4ft high to avoid floods, it was the first building to have a shingle roof instead of the usual bark.
He had purchased 19 acres here in 1860.
The well would have been used for the house.
George and Henry COX were the original squatters on the Coolabarabyan Run, arriving in 1836 and in 1843 James WESTON acquired the Run. In 1847 he had 20 acres of cultivation extending along the river and through this park area. He also established a flour mill and made cheese. Albert CROXON, born in Essex, England , (hence the name Essex Street adjoining this park) purchaSed the lease of the Run, plus a hotel, a store and 500 head of mixed stock from Weston in 1856, for 1000 pounds.
At the time there was no courthouse (built 1860) so proceedings such as courtcases, land auctions, church services, weddings and wakes took place in the parlour bar of Croxon's Castlereagh Inn.
On the 2nd May, 1860 the village of Coonabarabran was proclaimed. It included parts of Alfred Croxon`s Coolabarabyan Run and William Field's Nandi Run.
Robert NIELSEN arrived in 1870 and set up the store of Robert Nielsen & Co. which was carried on by the family until fairly recent times. Both Robert and his son William were very active in Community affairs ; leading to the naming of Nielsen Park.
In June, 1928 work commenced to fence and develop the park - called River Park. The first mention of Nielsen Park in Council records is in Feb, 1935.
THIS PLAQUE MARKS 50 YEARS OF SERVICE
TO THE COMMUNITY BY THE
COONABARBRAN ROTARY CLUB
1949 - 1999


 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design