www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Rotary International Plaques Print Page Print this page

Gunnedah Rotary Plaque : July 2014
Gunnedah Rotary Plaque : July 2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams
Plaques set in footpath commemorate the centenary of Rotary International in 2005. One plaque details the formation of Rotary in Gunnedah and the other plaque details the history of the Gunnedah Hospital.

Rotary International is an international service organization whose stated purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. It is a secular organization open to all persons regardless of race, colour, creed, religion, gender, or political preference. There are 34,282 clubs and over 1.2 million members worldwide.

The first Rotary Club was formed when attorney Paul P. Harris called together a meeting of three business acquaintances in downtown Chicago, at Harris' friend Gustave E. Loehr's office in the Unity Building on Dearborn Street on February 23, 1905. In addition to Harris and Loehr (a mining engineer and freemason), Silvester Schiele (a coal merchant), and Hiram E. Shorey (a tailor) were the other two who attended this first meeting. The members chose the name Rotary because initially they rotated subsequent weekly club meetings to each other's offices, although within a year, the Chicago club became so large it became necessary to adopt the now-common practice of a regular meeting place.

Location

Address:Conadilly Street, Gunnedah, 2380
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.977379
Long: 150.253069
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Actual Event STart Date:1905
Actual Event End Date:2005

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2005
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design