Normal SchoolPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the Normal School which stood on this site from 1862 to 1927.
Queensland was declared a separate colony from New South Wales on 10 December 1859 and in the following year the Queensland Parliament faced the task of providing an education system for the new colony.
In 1862 a new building, designated the Normal School was erected within the grounds of the Brisbane Boys and Brisbane Girls Primary Schools, and thereafter those schools were usually referred to as the Brisbane Normal Boys and the Brisbane Normal Girls Primary Schools. The most important function of the Normal School was that of a training centre where pupil-teachers could see the best and most efficient teaching methods in operation.
|Address:||261-263 Edward Street, Brisbane, 4000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.467288|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1862|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1927|
These three stones formed part of the
which stood on this site from 1862 to 1927 and
are incorporated in this building to perpetuate the
memory of the school that played so important a part
in the history of education in Queensland.
The first Head Master was John Rendall, who served
here from 1862 to 1873. He was succeeded by
James Semple Kerr, whose association with the School
lasted for a period of thirty two years (1874 to 1906).
"Est genius loci"