Centenary of Rotary InternationalPrint Page
A grove of trees planted to commemorates the Centenary of Rotary International. 38 trees were dedicated to 38 presidents who have served the Rotary Club of Laurieton since the club`s charter in 1966.
Rotary International is an international service organization whose stated purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. It is a secular organization open to all persons regardless of race, colour, creed, religion, gender, or political preference.
The first Rotary Club was formed when attorney Paul P. Harris called together a meeting of three business acquaintances in downtown Chicago, at Harris' friend Gustave E. Loehr's office in the Unity Building on Dearborn Street on February 23, 1905. In addition to Harris and Loehr (a mining engineer and freemason), Silvester Schiele (a coal merchant), and Hiram E. Shorey (a tailor) were the other two who attended this first meeting. The members chose the name Rotary because initially they rotated subsequent weekly club meetings to each other's offices, although within a year, the Chicago club became so large it became necessary to adopt the now-common practice of a regular meeting place.
|Address:||McLennan Street, Bruce Porter Reserve, Laurieton, 2443|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.649733|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||February-1905|
|Approx. Event End Date:||February-2005|
PAST PRESIDENTS WALK
THE GROVE OF TREES BESIDE THIS CYCLEWAY WAS PLANTED TO CELEBRATE THE CENTENARY OF ROTARY INTERNATIONAL
IN FEBRUARY 2005
THE 38 TREES ARE DEDICATED TO THE 38 PRESIDENTS WHO HAVE SERVED THE ROTARY CLUB OF LAURIETON SINCE THE CLUBS CHARTER IN 1966
ROTARY CLUB OF LAURIETON Inc.