Peace LoanPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the over-subscription by Queenstown to the Peace Loan in 1919.
During World War One, to finance the war the Commonwealth had a series of war loans, and then peace loans. To recover the cost of the war and fund soldier pensions the government launched 'Peace Loan' campaigns after the war. Peace loans were similar to the war loans where people loaned money to the government and received interest.
During the Peace Loan last year several Tasmanian municipalities distinguished themselves by exceeding their allotted quota of subscriptions, and thus becoming entitled to the bronze honor tablets offered to the best achievements. The tablets are now to be distributed. The following municipalities over subscribed their quota, and are entitled to a bronze tablet:-Bothwell, Brighton. Campbelltown, Clarence, Cygnet, Deloraine, Emu Bay, Flinders, Glamorgan, Gormanston, Hobart, Huon, Kentish, Kingborough, Launceston. Latrobe, Leven, Longford, New Norfolk, Oatlands, Queenstown, Ringarooma, Ross, Scottsdale, Sorell, Spring Bay, St. Leonards, Strahan, Tarman, Waratah, Westbury. The tablets will be distributed to the country municipalities as they are received from Melbourne.
Advocate (Burnie, Tas), 26th March 1920.
|Address:||Driffield & Sticht Streets, Imperial Hotel, Galley Museum, Queenstown, 7467|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.078272|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1920|
Commonwealth of Australia
A. D. 1919
To commemorate the oversubscription of the allocated quota of this loan by the Municipality of Queenstown
A. Lawson Warden
W. A. Watt Treasurer
W. M. Hughes Prime Minister