Rotary International CentenaryPrint Page
One hundred trees were planted by the Rotary Club of Charlton to commemorate the centenary of Rotary International which was founded in 1905.
Rotary International is an international service organization whose stated purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. It is a secular organization open to all persons regardless of race, colour, creed, religion, gender, or political preference.
The first Rotary Club was formed when attorney Paul P. Harris called together a meeting of three business acquaintances in downtown Chicago, at Harris' friend Gustave E. Loehr's office in the Unity Building on Dearborn Street on February 23, 1905 .In addition to Harris and Loehr (a mining engineer and freemason), Silvester Schiele (a coal merchant), and Hiram E. Shorey (a tailor) were the other two who attended this first meeting. The members chose the name Rotary because initially they rotated subsequent weekly club meetings to each other's offices, although within a year, the Chicago club became so large it became necessary to adopt the now-common practice of a regular meeting place.
|Address:||Burong Highway, Charlton Cemetery, Charlton, 3525|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.263187|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1905|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2005|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2005|
"100 trees for 100 years of Rotary "
These trees were planted by the Rotary Club of Charlton District 9780 to celebrate Rotary International`s Centennial
1905 - 2005