Peace LoanPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the over-subscription of the Peace Loan in 1919.
During World War One, to finance the war the Commonwealth had a series of war loans, and then peace loans. To recover the cost of the war and fund soldier pensions the government launched 'Peace Loan' campaigns after the war. Peace loans were similar to the war loans where people loaned money to the government and received interest.
With regard to the bronze tablet tablet with coat of arms which the Green Ponds Municipality won by more than doubling its quota in the Peace Loan, the municipality has decided to mount it on blackwood, and hang it in the Victoria hall, Kempton. The Hamilton Municipality have decided to place the tablet in the Hamilton hall, with the honour roll and it is hoped, if the honour roll is ready, to arrange with Sir John Gellibrand to unveil both of them.
The Mercury (Hobart), 8th July 1920.
|Address:||Main Street, Kempton Memorial Hall, Kempton, 7030|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.531652|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1919|
Commonwealth of Australia
To commemorate the subscription of double the allotted quota of this loan by the Municipality of Green Ponds
A. E. Corrince Warden
W. A. Watt Treasurer
W. M. Hughes Prime Minister