Buln Buln School CentenaryPrint Page
Sundial & plaque commemorate the centenary of Buln Buln School.
Prior to a permanent school building being erected the Education Department established the Buln Buln School in Bradley’s Hall Brandy Creek. The school opened on 9 March 1878 under the Head Teacher Mrs Margaret T Skinner. The average attendance at the school during the first year was 19 pupils with 35 on the roll.
In January 1884, parents threatened a total boycott of Bradley’s Hall, unless a new school was up by winter. Tenders were quickly called and the new wooden schoolroom was ready and occupied by August of that year. A three room attached residence followed a month later. Despite objections, the school closed in December 1892.
In 1894 the Education Department leased a small but “comfortable” building in the Buln Buln Railway Station yard (the new township). The Buln Buln State School opened, on a part-time basis, in August of that year. By January 1895 the school population had risen to 42 and the school recommenced on a full-time basis, with Gilbert Smith as Head Teacher.
In 1908 the Education Department purchased five acres of land for a new school building. A contract was let in March 1909 for the erection of the new school building, comprising two classrooms and an office. In 1913 the old school building was relocated to the present school site.
|Address:||15 Old Sale Road, Buln Buln Primary School , Buln Buln, 3821|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.099177|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1878|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1978|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 7th April, 1979|
THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATES THE CENTENARY OF BULN BULN PRIMARY SCHOOL NO.2017
7TH APRIL 1979