Centenary of the Croydon Mechanics Institute HallPrint Page
Mechanics Institute of Victoria plaque commemorates the centenary of the Croydon Mechanics Institute Hall.
The purpose of the MIV Historical Plaques Program is to inform the public of the history of Mechanics' Institutes in Victoria and also give a snippet of history about the individual Institute. The idea of putting a plaque on Mechanics' Institute Halls was advanced by Committee member Alan Tonkin in 1999. Committee member Paul Permezel brought it to reality in 2003 and since then plaques have been installed to mark special occasions within Institutes all across the State. These plaques have been used to commemorate a significant date in the history of an Institute or town; be it an anniversary, or a significant renovation or restoration project.
|Address:||212 Mt Dandenong Road , Croydon Youth Centre, Croydon, 3136|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.798877|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1909|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2009|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 23rd February, 2010|
Mechanics Institute of Victoria Inc. (MIV)
EV’s Youth Centre.
Croydon Mechanics Institute. 1909-2009.
The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community.
A Mechanics’ Institute was established in Croydon in 1908. This Plaque, No. 25 in the MIV series, commemorates the centenary of the Croydon Mechanics’ Institute Hall, built and used for social activities and has been utilised over the years as a Library, Cinema, Town Hall, and is currently used as Maroondah City Council’s Youth Centre.