Benalla Mechanics InstitutePrint Page
Mechanics Institute of Victoria plaque acknowledges the vision of Benalla’s earlier settlers.
The purpose of the MIV Historical Plaques Program is to inform the public of the history of Mechanics' Institutes in Victoria and also give a snippet of history about the individual Institute. The idea of putting a plaque on Mechanics' Institute Halls was advanced by Committee member Alan Tonkin in 1999. Committee member Paul Permezel brought it to reality in 2003 and since then plaques have been installed to mark special occasions within Institutes all across the State. These plaques have been used to commemorate a significant date in the history of an Institute or town; be it an anniversary, or a significant renovation or restoration project.
|Address:||14 Mair Street, Benalla Mechanics Institute, Benalla, 3672|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.551658|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||October-2005|
Mechanics Institute of Victoria Inc (MIV)
Benalla Mechanics' Institute & Free Library.
Established here in 1869.
The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community.
With the placing of this plaque, No. 14 in the MIV series, the Benalla Historical Society Inc. acknowledges the vision of Benalla’s earlier settlers and ensures this building now functions as a museum and is a place of interest, education and enjoyment. October 2005