Dean Hall & Mechanics InstitutePrint Page
Mechanics Institute of Victoria plaque acknowledges the vision and dedicated contribution of supporters of Dean and district who have ensured the continuity of Dean Hall and Mechanics Institute as a focal point for the community for successive generations. The plaque was dedicated on the 115th anniversary to celebrate the refurbishment of the building.
The purpose of the MIV Historical Plaques Program is to inform the public of the history of Mechanics' Institutes in Victoria and also give a snippet of history about the individual Institute. The idea of putting a plaque on Mechanics' Institute Halls was advanced by Committee member Alan Tonkin in 1999. Committee member Paul Permezel brought it to reality in 2003 and since then plaques have been installed to mark special occasions within Institutes all across the State. These plaques have been used to commemorate a significant date in the history of an Institute or town; be it an anniversary, or a significant renovation or restoration project.
|Address:||Daylesford-Ballarat Road, Dean Hall & Mechanics Institute, Dean, 3352|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.466086|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Mechanics Institute of Victoria Inc. (MIV)
Dean Hall & Mechanics Institute.
Established on this site in 1891.
The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community.
This plaque, No 17 in the MIV series, acknowledges the vision and dedicated contribution of supporters of Dean and district who have ensured the continuity of Dean Hall and Mechanics Institute as a focal point for the community for successive generations. Dedicated in 2006 in the 115th Anniversary year to celebrate the refurbishment of the historic building.