Elmore Athenaeum Hall Print Page Print this page

Elmore Athenaeum Hall Plaque : 22-04-2014
Elmore Athenaeum Hall Plaque : 22-04-2014

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The Mechanics Institute of Victoria plaque is dedicated to local citizens who worked to restore the building to a significant social and cultural centre.

The purpose of the MIV Historical Plaques Program is to inform the public of the history of Mechanics' Institutes in Victoria and also give a snippet of history about the individual Institute. The idea of putting a plaque on Mechanics' Institute Halls was advanced by Committee member Alan Tonkin in 1999. Committee member Paul Permezel brought it to reality in 2003 and since then plaques have been installed to mark special occasions within Institutes all across the State. These plaques have been used to commemorate a significant date in the history of an Institute or town; be it an anniversary, or a significant renovation or restoration project.


Address:62 Michie Street, Elmore Athenaeum , Elmore, 3558
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.494875
Long: 144.610102
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture


Front Inscription

Mechanics Institute of Victoria Inc. (MIV)

Elmore Athenaeum Hall.

Established on this site 1869-1924.

The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. The Elmore Athenaeum Hall complex comprises the original 1869 building, the 1885 Athenaeum, the 1912 Supper Room and the 1924 Memorial Hall. It was the centre of the social activities and community gatherings by Elmore Residents. After falling into disuse, it faced demolition in 1992. But the community rallied and through individual effort, council assistance and government grants, the building has been restored and is once again a significant social and cultural centre for the Elmore community.

This plaque, No. 26 in the MIV series, is dedicated to the local citizens who worked so diligently to achieve this result.

Source: MIV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design