Frankston Mechanics InstitutePrint Page
Mechanics Institute of Victoria plaque commemorates the reservation of this site as a free library on 15 September 1873 and recognises the importance of the building to the residents of Frankston.
The purpose of the MIV Historical Plaques Program is to inform the public of the history of Mechanics' Institutes in Victoria and also give a snippet of history about the individual Institute. The idea of putting a plaque on Mechanics' Institute Halls was advanced by Committee member Alan Tonkin in 1999. Committee member Paul Permezel brought it to reality in 2003 and since then plaques have been installed to mark special occasions within Institutes all across the State. These plaques have been used to commemorate a significant date in the history of an Institute or town; be it an anniversary, or a significant renovation or restoration project.
|Address:||Plowman Place, Frankston Mechanics Institute, Frankston, 3199|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.146059|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2004|
Mechanics Institute of Victoria Inc. (MIV)
Frankston Mechanics' Institute.
Opened on this site 1880.
The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community.
This plaque, No. 8 in the MIV series, was placed here in 2004 in recognition of the importance of this building to the residents of Frankston and to commemorate the reservation of this site as a free library on 15 September 1873.