Arthurs Creek Mechanics InstitutePrint Page
Mechanics Institute of Victoria plaque acknowledges the vision of the settlers who established the Arthurs Creek Mechanics Institute in 1887. It also commemorates Mr Ken Hall's contribution in documenting the Hall's history.
The purpose of the MIV Historical Plaques Program is to inform the public of the history of Mechanics' Institutes in Victoria and also give a snippet of history about the individual Institute. The idea of putting a plaque on Mechanics' Institute Halls was advanced by Committee member Alan Tonkin in 1999. Committee member Paul Permezel brought it to reality in 2003 and since then plaques have been installed to mark special occasions within Institutes all across the State. These plaques have been used to commemorate a significant date in the history of an Institute or town; be it an anniversary, or a significant renovation or restoration project.
|Address:||906 Arthurs Creek Road, Arthurs Creek Hall , Arthurs Creek , 3099|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.579268|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Mechanics Institute of Victoria Inc (MIV).
Arthurs Creek Mechanics' Institute and Free Library.
The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community.
This plaque, No. 10 in the MIV series acknowledges the vision of the settlers who established Arthurs Creek Mechanics’ Institute and Free Library on 2 September 1887. We celebrate the contribution of successive generations to ensuring the Hall continues as a community focus. The plaque also commemorates Mr Ken Murphy’s valued contribution in documenting the Hall’s history.