Centenary of Mia Mia Mechanics Institute Print Page
A Mechanics Institute of Victoria plaque commemorates the centenary of the Mia Mia Institute.
The purpose of the MIV Historical Plaques Program is to inform the public of the history of Mechanics' Institutes in Victoria and also give a snippet of history about the individual Institute. The idea of putting a plaque on Mechanics' Institute Halls was advanced by Committee member Alan Tonkin in 1999. Committee member Paul Permezel brought it to reality in 2003 and since then plaques have been installed to mark special occasions within Institutes all across the State. These plaques have been used to commemorate a significant date in the history of an Institute or town; be it an anniversary, or a significant renovation or restoration project.
|Address:||Valley Road, Mia Mia Mechanics Hall , Mia Mia, 3444|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.003813|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1907|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2007|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2007|
Mechanics Institute of Victoria Inc.
Mia Mia Mechanics' Institute.
Established on this site in 1907. Extended and renovated in 1983.
The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community.
This plaque, No. 21 in the MIV series, was erected on this historic building in 2007 to mark the centenary celebrations of this hall.