Centenary of Little River Mechanics Institute Hall Print Page
Mechanics Institute of Victoria plaque commemorates the centenary of the Little River Mechanics Institute.
The official opening of the Little River Hall was celebrated on 3 August 1910 with a grand ball and concert. Andrew Robert Robertson M.L.A. declared the hall opened and congratulated the Little River people on "the up-to-date and commodious hall they had erected". By September 1912 the hall was known as the Little River Mechanics' Institute and Free Library.
The purpose of the MIV Historical Plaques Program is to inform the public of the history of Mechanics' Institutes in Victoria and also give a snippet of history about the individual Institute. The idea of putting a plaque on Mechanics' Institute Halls was advanced by Committee member Alan Tonkin in 1999. Committee member Paul Permezel brought it to reality in 2003 and since then plaques have been installed to mark special occasions within Institutes all across the State. These plaques have been used to commemorate a significant date in the history of an Institute or town; be it an anniversary, or a significant renovation or restoration project.
|Address:||8 Rothwell Road, Little River Mechanics Institute , Little River, 3211|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.964527|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1910|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2010|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2010|
Mechanics Institute of Victoria Inc. (MIV)
Little River Mechanics' Institute Hall.
The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community.
A Mechanics’ Institute was established in Little River in 1908. This plaque, No. 24 in the MIV series, commemorates the centenary of the Little River Mechanics’ Institute Hall built and used for social activities, gatherings and a Free Library for the township of Little River since its official opening on 3 August 1910.