150th Anniversary of Malmsbury Mechanics InstitutePrint Page Print this page

04-October-2016 (Sandra Brown)
04-October-2016 (Sandra Brown)

Photographs supplied by Nancy Alford / Sandra Brown

Mechanics Institute of Victoria plaque commemorates the 150th anniversary of the Malmsbury Mechanics Institute.

The purpose of the MIV Historical Plaques Program is to inform the public of the history of Mechanics' Institutes in Victoria and also give a snippet of history about the individual Institute. The idea of putting a plaque on Mechanics' Institute Halls was advanced by Committee member Alan Tonkin in 1999.

Committee member Paul Permezel brought it to reality in 2003 and since then plaques have been installed to mark special occasions within Institutes all across the State. These plaques have been used to commemorate a significant date in the history of an Institute or town; be it an anniversary, or a significant renovation or restoration project.



Address:71 Mollison Street, Malmsbury Mechanics Institute, Malmsbury, 3446
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.188882
Long: 144.384465
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2012
Front Inscription

Mechanics Institute of Victoria (MIV)

Malmsbury Mechanics' Institute.
Founded 1862. First met on this site 1862.

The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community.

The Malmsbury Mechanics’ Institute (MMI) was formed in 1862. The former Caroline Chisholm Shelter Shed, on this site, was renovated for use as council chambers by the Borough of Malmsbury in 1862, and space was granted to the MMI. The site was purchased by the Institute in 1871. The two front rooms of the present building were built in 1876, the Federal Hall at the rear in 1895. This plaque, No. 27 in the MIV series, was placed here in 2012 by Malmsbury Historical Society to mark the 150th anniversary of the establishment of MMI.

Source: MA,MVIC
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design