125th Anniversary of Grand Lodge of New South WalesPrint Page
A laque commemorates the 125th anniversary of the Grand Lodge of New South Wales which had its first meeting in 1888.
The first Grand Lodge was opened in Sydney in 1845, Bro. Robert Barr being the first Grand Master, and Bro. Andrew Alexander, the Deputy Grand Master. Bro. Alexander was the Grand Master the following year. The institution grew and prospered; No.2 Lodge was opened in 1845, No.3, No.4, and No.5 (in Kiama on the New South Wales South Coast) in 1846, No.6 and No.8 in 1847, No.7 in 1850.
The Grand Lodge of Ireland and the Grand Lodge of Scotland were also warranting lodges in New South Wales, and creating their own provincial Grand Lodges.
On 16 August 1888, after considerable consultation, the Masters and Wardens of the one hundred and eighty-three lodges assembled, the articles of union were again adopted, and the " United Grand Lodge of New South Wales " declared to be duly constituted and established. The first Grand Master was Lord Carrington, Governor of New South Wales.
|Address:||66 Goulburn Street, Sydney Masonic Centre, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.878099|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||16-August-1888|
|Actual Event End Date:||16-August-2013|