75th anniversary of Rotary.Print Page
Drewan Park and memorial plinth commemorate the 75th anniversary of Rotary.
Rotary International (also known as the Rotary Club) is an international service organization whose stated purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. It is a secular organization open to all persons regardless of race, colour, creed, religion, gender, or political preference. There are 34,282 clubs and over 1.2 million members worldwide.
The first Rotary Club was formed when attorney Paul P. Harris called together a meeting of three business acquaintances in downtown Chicago, at Harris' friend Gustave E. Loehr's office in the Unity Building on Dearborn Street on February 23, 1905. In addition to Harris and Loehr (a mining engineer), Silvester Schiele (a coal merchant), and Hiram E. Shorey (a tailor) were the other two who attended this first meeting. The members chose the name Rotary because initially they rotated subsequent weekly club meetings to each other's offices, although within a year, the Chicago club became so large it became necessary to adopt the now-common practice of a regular meeting place.
|Address:||Wandana Drive, Drewan Park, Wandana Heights, 3216|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.173702|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1905|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1980|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 19th December, 1980|
(On Plinth in park )
A REGIONAL PARK CONSTRUCTED JOINTLY BY THE ROTARY CLUBS OF BELMONT - GROVEDALE - HIGHTON IN CONJUCTION WITH THE GEELONG REGIONAL COMMISSION AND SHIRE OF BARRABOOL
TO COMMEMORATE THE 75TH ANNIVERSARY OF ROTARY
OFFICIALLY OPENED BY THE HON.R.J.HAMER E.D., M.P. ON 19TH DECEMBER 1980