www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150th Anniversary of St Kilda CemeteryPrint Page Print this page

150th Anniversary of St Kilda Cemetery : 16-June-2013
150th Anniversary of St Kilda Cemetery : 16-June-2013

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

Bhutan cypress pines commemorate the 150th anniversary of the St Kilda Cemetery.

St Kilda Cemetery was laid out in 1851 and it was officially opened in 1855. It is one of the oldest suburban cemeteries in Melbourne with the first burial taking place of a young girl Charlotte Green in 1885. The gate lodge was built in about 1857, and the rotundas in 1860. By this time, St Kilda was the preferred suburb of wealthy residents and there were three unsuccessful attempts by local landowners to have the cemetery closed. The external brick wall was built in about 1883.

Location

Address:Dandenong Road (Cnr Hotham Street), St Kilda Cemetery, St Kilda East, 3183
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.859545
Long: 145.002672
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Trees
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Actual Event STart Date:09-June-1855
Actual Event End Date:09-June-2005

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 5th June, 2005
Front Inscription

Est. 1855
ST KILDA
Cemetery

The 150th Anniversary of the St Kilda Cemetery, officially opened on
9 June 1855 was celebrated by the planting of Bhutan Cypress trees
along the Entrance Avenue by :

The Parliamentary Secretary of Health, Daniel Andrews
and members of : 
Friends of St Kilda Cemetery
The Necropolis Springvale
City of Port Phillip
City of Stonnington
St Kilda Historical Society
Prahran Historical Society
Malvern Historical Society

On this day, 5 June 2005

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design