www.monumentaustralia.org.au

War Horses MemorialPrint Page Print this page

War Horses Memorial
War Horses Memorial

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

The tribute to the War Horses was originally unveiled in 1926 on St Kilda Road but was moved in 1987 to its present position near the Shrine of Remembrance. The granite horse trough was erected by the Purple Cross Society, an organisation of women animal lovers who concerned themselves with the welfare of horses during World War One, using funds raised by Boer War Light Horsemen

958000 horses and mules were killed in World War One. 169000 left Australia and never returned either killed in action or in died in quarantine.

One of the most famous was a horse called `David` which served in the 107 Battery Regiment 1899-1902 during the Boer War, and then as a gun wheel in France. He was awarded many Army medals and honours including the Queen`s Medal, the King`s Medal and Star with bar.

Unveiled by Sir John Monash during animal week and under the auspices of the Society for the Protection of Animals. Every year wreaths are laid around the memorial by organisations.

Location

Address:St Kilda Road, Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne, 3000
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.82957
Long: 144.974054
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Animals

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 10th May, 1926
Front Inscription

Purple Cross Service of Victoria.

He gains no crosses as a soldier may. No medals for the many risks he runs. He only in his puzzled, patient way sticks to his guns

A TRIBUTE TO OUR WAR HORSES

Source: MA,RSLV,RUMV,VMR,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design