A plaque commemorates the World War One horse, Sandy.
According to the Australian War Memorial, 136,000 horses traditionally known as walers were sent overseas during World War One, but Sandy, belonging to Major-General Sir William Bridges, was the only one to return to Australia.
The chestnut arrived back in Australia in November 1918 and was turned out to graze at the Remount Depot on the Maribyrnong defence site where horses were broken in and trained for the army in land next to the explosives factory.
He was put down in May 1923 due to blindness and debility and while his head and neck were mounted and became part of the Australian War Memorial’s collection, the rest of Sandy is thought to have been buried at the Maribyrnong site.
|Address:||9 Randall Street, Community Centre, Maribyrnong, 3032|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.769722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
This plaque is to honour the memory of Sandy, who was one of 169,000 horses to embark for service during the First World War (1914 - 1918). Sandy was the only horse returned to Australia at the end of the war.
On his return Sandy was put out to pasture at the Maribyrnong Remount Depot where he remained for 6 years until he was put down due to ill heath. Sandy is buried close to Maribyrnong Community Centre, which is built on a part of the Remount Depot.