Chester`s GravePrint Page
Grave of Chester the winner of the 1877 Melbourne Cup. Chester died in 1891.
"Camelot" stands on the site of explorer John Oxley's Kirkham Mill. The original grant was made in 1810 and extended in 1815. John Horbury Hunt designed "Camelot" then called "Kirkham" for James White of Cranbrook in the late 1880's. It is constructed from brick and has a romantic silhouette of turrets, chimney stacks, gables, arched verandahs and projecting bays. "Camelot" was reportedly built with the winnings from "Chester", a racehorse which won the Melbourne Cup in 1877, owned by James White.
In 1876 White bought Chester from E. K. Cox and next year began a sensational twelve-year career on the turf when Chester won the Victoria Racing Club`s Derby-Melbourne Cup double; the stallion had 19 wins from 29 starts and was only 3 times unplaced before becoming top sire. White won five A.J.C. Derbys in 1884-89, five A.J.C. Sires` Produce Stakes in 1885-90, five V.R.C. St Legers in 1886-90 and six V.R.C. Derbys in 1877-90, among most other important races.
|Address:||Kirkham Lane, Paddock behind Oxley`s Anchor, Kirkham, 2570|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.034219|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
DIED 21st NOVEMBER