Kelpie MemorialPrint Page
A memorial commemorates the birthplace of the Australian kelpie breed of dog.
The Kelpie Sheep Dog breed was developed on Bolero Station, near Ardlethan. Around 1870 Jack Gleeson, a manager at Bolero Station began mating dogs with a bitch he named Kelpie. One of the pups, Caesar, became famous when she competed at the first dog trial held in Forbes, New South Wales. Her performance was so outstanding that it resulted in the adoption of a breed called Kelpie. Today the breed can be found worldwide in over 400 countries.
|Address:||Ariah Street, Ardlethan, 2665|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.357808|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Charlie Beltrame (sculptor)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 22nd October, 1994|
THIS MONUMENT ERECTED BY
THE CITIZENS OF ARDLETHAN & DISTRICT
COMMEMORATES THE BREEDING OF
THE FIRST GENERATION OF THE
AUSTRALIAN KELPIE SHEEP DOG
JOHN D. GLEESON,
OVERSEER OF BOLERO STATION,
20KMS NORTH OF ARDLETHAN IN THE 1870`s
AUTHORISED BY THE WORKING KELPIE COUNCIL OF
THIS PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED BY
GEOFFREY GLEESON, GRANDSON
22ND OCTOBER, 1994