A monument commemorates the racehorse, Patrobas who won the 1915 running of the Melbourne Cup.
|Address:||Prince & Hood Streets, , Rosedale, 3847|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.151536|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 4th November, 2007|
The Patrobas story is the true story of the only Gippsland horse to win a Melbourne Cup.
This event took place in 1915, the same year Patrobas also won the Caulfield Guineas and the Derby. This feat has not only not been repeated but it unlikely to be. Patrobas was owned by a local lady Mrs Edith Widdis, who resided at Nambrok House, the current home of Mr Peter McGauran MHR.
Mrs Widdis received Patrobas as a birthday present from her husband and after been beaten in a two horse race at the now defunct Rosedale Racecourse, Patrobas was sent to Mr Charlie Wheeler a significant trainer of the day. The result of this action is now in the annals of racing history. Mrs Widdis became the first female owner of the Melbourne Cup. The rider Bobby Lewis was the first race rider to ride four Melbourne Cup winners.
Patrobas carried the rose pink silks belonging to Mrs Widdis and saddle cloth number 19.
The Patrobas statue was erected as a result of the dedication of the Rosedale Chamber of Commerce and Industry and is constructed from plate steel. The statue was unveiled and dedicated by Mr Peter Hall MLC on November 4th 2007. The cup won by Patrobas is on display at the Arts Centre in Sale.