Annis & George Bills Horse TroughPrint Page
The Annis & George Bills Horse Trough was donated in memory of the horses that did not return from World War One.
Walers were the type of horse used by light horsemen in the campaign in the Middle East during the First World War. The light horse combined the mobility of cavalry with the fighting skills of infantry. They fought dismounted, with rifles and bayonets. However, sometimes they charged on horseback, notably at Magdhaba and Beersheba. The smallest unit of a light horse regiment was the four-man section: one holding the horses while the other three fought.
The horses were called Walers because, although they came from all parts of Australia, they were originally sold through New South Wales. They were sturdy, hardy horses, able to travel long distances in hot weather with little water.
At the end of the First World War Australians had 13,000 surplus horses which could not be returned home for quarantine reasons. Of these, 11,000 were sold, the majority as remounts for the British Army in India (as was the case with this horse) and two thousand were cast for age or infirmity. Only one horse "Sandy" , who belonged to Major General Sir William Bridges who was killed at Gallipoli, returned home.
Note : - Bills horse troughs are watering troughs that were manufactured in Australia and installed to provide relief for working horses in the first half of the twentieth century. The troughs were financed by a trust fund established through the will of George Bills. A total of around 700 troughs were distributed by the trust in Australia and 50 in several other countries.
|Address:||Ross Street, Glenbrook, 2773|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.765493|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Donated By ANNIS & GEORGE BILLS
[ Plaque ]
This trough was donated
in remembrance of
those horses that did not
return from the First
World War 1914 - 1918