50th Anniversary of the End of World War TwoPrint Page
An Australia Remembers sign on the Memorial Hall commemorates the 50th anniversary of the end of World War Two and notes that the site was used by the 47th Battalion during that conflict.
Queensland's 47th Infantry Battalion was known as the "Wide Bay Regiment" and had its headquarters at Maryborough. Training centres were established at Tiaro, Gympie, Murgon, Wondai, Kingaroy, Childers, Howard, and Bundaberg. After the outbreak of the Second World War the 47th regularly held training camps lasting from one to three months, before being mobilised on 17 March 1941. Towards the end of the year the 47th moved from Rockhampton to Tiaro, where it joined the 15th and 42nd Battalions of the 5th Division’s 29th Brigade.
|Address:||Bruce Highway, Memorial Hall, Tiaro, 4650|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -25.728621|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1995|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1995|
50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE END OF WORLD WAR TWO
This site was utilised during the years of conflict by Allied Army Personnel as a camp for the 47th Battalion