2nd / 1st Australian Infantry BattalionPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the 2nd / 1st Infantry Battalion of the 6th Division which served in World War Two.
The 2/1st Battalion was raised at Victoria Barracks, Sydney, on 16 October 1939 as part of the 16th Brigade of the 6th Australian Division. It relocated to the newly-opened Ingleburn Camp on 2 November and, after conducting basic training there, embarked for overseas service on 10 January 1940.
Disembarking in Egypt on 13 February 1940, the 2/1st moved to Palestine, where it was concentrated with the rest of the 16th Brigade at Julis near Gaza. The brigade trained in Palestine until the end of August, when it moved to Egypt to carry out its final preparations for active service with the 6th Division.
|Address:||Wharf Street, Memorial Walkway, Chris Cunningham Park , Tweed Heads , 2485|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.17|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 17th October, 2009|
2/1st AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY BATTALION
6TH DIVISION AIF
1939 – 1945
KOKODA TRAIL AITAPE-WEWAK
Dedicated by the First Battalion Association on 17th October 2009
We Will Remember Them