Avenue of HonourPrint Page
The Jarrahmond Avenue of Honour is located in East Gippsland, five kilometres west of Orbost. A monument and honour roll were unveiled in 2002.
It is an avenue of eighteen oak trees (Quercus robur) dedicated to those who attended the Jarrahmond School and later went on to serve in the forces during the Second World War. The trees are on one side of the road and leads to an old school site. At the end of the vista is a stand of massive mahogany gums (Eucalyptus botroides).
Jarrahmond Landcare Group contacted the Orbost RSL sub-branch in 1999 after hearing the RSL had plans to add a monument to Jarrahmond’s B Rd Avenue of Honour. The RSL obtained funding from the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs’ commemorative grant “Their Service, Our Heritage”. The grant required partnerships with other community groups and the Jarrahmond Landcare Group’s offer of assistance was welcomed.
The Avenue of Honour in 2001 consisted of an avenue of English Oaks with 2 deteriorating blossom trees - a flowering cherry and a flowering peach. The Landcare Group cleaned up the area and pruned where necessary, added a cattle guard around the monument and agreed to do the ongoing maintenance of the site. The Landcare Group also arranged with East Gippsland Shire Council to install an “Historical Marker” sign on the roadside to indicate the location of the monument.
The monument was erected by the RSL and consists of a plaque recording the history of Jarrahmond and the Avenue and an Honour Roll listing the 15 young men from Jarrahmond who served in World War Two. The unveiling of the monument and the dedication of the Jarrahmond Honour roll was held on April 16th, 2002 on B RD, Jarrahmond.
Funding was received under the Anzac Centenary Grants Program to provide an Honour Roll of those who served in World War One.
|Address:||B Road, Jarrahmond, 3888|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.691097|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Avenue of Honour|
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1955|