2nd / 3rd Australian Independent Company (2nd / 3rd Commando Squadron)Print Page
A Plaque commemorates those who died on active service while serving in the 2nd / 3rd Australian Independent Company & Commando Squadron during World War Two. The plaque also pays tribute to the New Guinea people who supported them.
The 2/3rd Commando Squadron was one of twelve independent or commando companies and squadrons formed by the Australian Army for service during World War Two. Raised in October 1941 as the 2/3rd Independent Company, it served in New Caledonia and New Guinea before being amalgamated into the 2/7th Cavalry Commando Regiment and adopting the name 2/3rd Commando Squadron in 1943. After this, the squadron did not see action again until 1945, when it participated in the Borneo campaign. Throughout the course of the war, the 2/3rd lost 69 members killed in action.
|Address:||Kennedy Highway, Rocky Creek Memorial Park, Rocky Creek, 4882|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.182329|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1941|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2012-2013|
2/3 AUSTRALIAN INDEPENDENT COMPANY
2/3 AUSTRALIAN COMMANDO SQUADRON
WAU-SALAMAUA NEW GUINEA
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE WHO
DIED WHILE ON ACTIVE SERVICE AND TO THE
NEW GUINEA PEOPLE WHO SUPPORTED THEM
"LEST WE FORGET"