No.1 Spitfire Fighter WingPrint Page
Plaque commemorates those who served with No. 1 Spitfire Fighter Wing from January 1943 to June 1944.
No. 1 Wing was reformed on 7 October 1942 as a fighter unit comprising two Australian and one British flying squadrons equipped with Supermarine Spitfire aircraft, and a mobile fighter sector headquarters. The wing provided air defence to Darwin and several other key Allied bases in northern Australia until the end of the war, and was disbanded in October 1945.
|Address:||Esplanade, Darwin Cenotaph, Bicentennial Park, Darwin, 0800|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -12.466747|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2012|