www.monumentaustralia.org.au

2nd / 9th Australian General HospitalPrint Page Print this page

2nd / 9th Australian General Hospital : 8-March-1942
2nd / 9th Australian General Hospital : 8-March-1942
Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

Commemorates the men and women who served in the 2nd / 9th Australian General Hospital during World War Two

Location

Address:300 Waterdale Road, Repatriation Hospital, Remembrance Garden, Heidelberg, 3081
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.755725
Long: 145.047069
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event STart Date:03-December-1940
Approx. Event End Date:August-1946

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 17th August, 2001
Back Inscription

2 / 9 Australian General Hospital 

The 2/9 AGH was formed as a 600 bed hospital in South Australia on 3 December 1940, later extended to 1200 beds, and ceased to function in August 1946.

The original commanding officer was Colonel C. E. Wassell and Matron Colonel N. Marshall RRC.

The 2/9 AGH operated as a complete hospital in Palestine, Egypt, the Kokoda campaign in New Guined and Morotai.  At times the hospital operated as a 2000 patient facility with patients in and under beds through necessity.  

Personnel served with distinction and were awarded  CBE 2  RRF 1  RRC 1  ARRC 1  MID 20

This plaque is dedicated to the men and women who served in the 2 / 9 Australian General Hospital (AIF) during World War II.

Unveiled on 17 August 2001

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design