57/60th BattalionPrint Page
A tree commemorates the 57/60th Infantry Battalion of World War Two.
It was formed in 1930 as part of the Militia by the amalgamation of the 57th and 60th Battalions and was assigned to the 15th Brigade, 3rd Division in Victoria.
Following the outbreak of World War Two, the battalion was initially used in a garrison role in Australia before being deployed to New Guinea in 1943, remaining there for almost 18 months before being brought back to Australia. Later, in mid April 1945 the battalion embarked for Bougainville where they took part in the advance towards Buin in the southern sector of the island.
The battalion was disbanded in March 1946.
|Address:||Birdwood Avenue, Shrine Reserve, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.830139|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
57/60th Infantry Battalion
South West Pacific 1943 - 1945
Liberation of Australian New Guinea . Bogadjim . Finisterres . Hongorai River . Commando Road . Hari River . Ogorata River . Mobiai River . Mivo River
Eucalyptus Maculata Hardnbold 1930 - 1946