2nd / 4th Australian Independent Company (2nd / 4th Commando Squadron) Print Page
A Plaque dedicated to the memory of those who lost their lives while serving with the 2nd / 4th Australian Commando Squadron during World War Two.
The 2/4th Commando Squadron was one of 12 independent companies and commando squadrons raised by the Australian Army during the Second World War.
The 2/4th was deployed to Portuguese Timor to reinforce the other Australian units already waging a guerilla war on the island. After a brief campaign the 2/4th was returned to Australia and from there it went on to serve in New Guinea in 1943, taking part in the Salamaua-Lae campaign attached to the 9th Division. Later, the squadron was involved in one of the last campaigns of the war when it landed on Tarakan Island in May 1945 and took part in the Borneo campaign (1945).
|Address:||Kennedy Highway, Rocky Creek Memorial Park, Rocky Creek, 4882|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.182329|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2010|
2/4 AUSTRALIAN INDEPENDENT COMPANY
2/4 AUSTRALIAN COMMANDO SQUADRON
WILSONS PROMONTORY CANUNGRA
NORTHERN TERRITORY TIMOR NEW GUINEA TARAKAN
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF OUR MEMBERS WHO PAID THE SUPREME SACRIFICE
"LEST WE FORGET"