No 7 Elementary Flying Training SchoolPrint Page
A monument commemorates those who served at the No 7 Elementary Flying Training School at Western Junction from 1940 to 1945.
The Evandale History Society, in conjunction with the R.A.A.F. Association, Launceston Branch, decided to build a memorial dedicated to all those who trained and served at Western Junction. This also commemorates the ten servicemen who died while based there and also honours the approximately one third of the 1801 pilots trained there who died whilst in training at other bases or on active service in all theatres of war.
In 1939 the Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F.) took over the field at Western Junction and it became the Number 7 Elementary Flying Training School. Extra strips were built at Nile, Annandale, Quorn Hall, and Valleyfeld. Civilian control of the airport resumed in 1946.
|Address:||8 High Street, Memorial Gardens, Evandale, 7212|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.569985|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 21st August, 2010|
DEDICATED TO ALL WHO SERVED IN THE NO. 7 ELEMENTARY FLYING TRAINING SCHOOL AT WESTERN JUNCTION
1940 - 1945
WE SALUTE THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVED IN NO.7 ELEMENTARY FLYING TRAINING SCHOOL WESTERN JUNCTION AUGUST 1940 - AUGUST 1945
DEDICATED ON THE 21ST AUGUST 2010 BY GROUP CAPTAIN GLEN COY CSC ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE
Erected By The Evandale Historical Society And R.A.A.F Association Launceston
Roll of Honour
Who died while serving at 7 E.F.T.S. Western Junction 1940 - 1946
[ Names ]
So nobly their duty done ; ours now to remember theirs.