2nd / 23rd Australian Infantry BattalionPrint Page
The gates at the Young Street entrance of Scots School commemorate the connection between the school and the 2/23rd Battalion which was raised in Albury. The Scots School is caretaker of the Battalion's banner.
The 2/23rd Infantry Battalion was raised at the Albury Showgrounds in June 1940, as part of the 26th Brigade. Initially the brigade belonged to the 7th Division but in early 1941 moved to the 9th Division. The battalion did its initial training at Bonegilla before sailing for the Middle East in November.
On the northern boundary of the showgrounds, the 2/23rd Battalion and the Albury Grammar School became neighbours and mates. The School Cadet Corps loaned rifles to mount the Battalion's first guard, and bayonet practice was held on the school's Wilson Oval, much to the delight of the boys. Four of the Albury Grammar boys served with the 2/23rd in their contribution to our nation.
|Address:||Young Street, Scots School, Albury, 2640|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.072795|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 21st August, 2010|
2/23rd Australian Infantry Battalion
On this site on the 20th August, 1940,
the 2/23rd Infantry Battalion was raised.
At the time, the location was the Albury Agricultural Showgrounds.
The Battalion was part of the 26th Brigade,
9th Division of the 2nd Australian Imperial Force.
The Battalion served with distinction in North Africa 1941 - 1942.
During the Defence of Tobruk.
The Defence of the Alamein Line and El Alamein.
The Salient 1941.
The Battalion also served with distinction in the South West Pacific 1943 - 1945,
The Defence of Lae-Nadzab, Busu River, Finschafen, Satelbreg, Wareo,
Borneo and Tarakan.
338 Died 773 Wounded
Lest We Forget