Burnside Homes PlaquePrint Page
A plaque records the occupation of Burnside Homes by the Second Australian Army during World War Two.
The tartan of the Royal Stewarts was proudly displayed at Burnside Homes last Wednesday, for the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester. A tablet commemorating the taking over of the Homes by the Army in February, 1943, was unveiled by the Duke, who also planted two memorial trees as a mark of remembrance of old boys who had given their lives during the war. Dressed in kilts of Royal Stewart tartan and led by 13-year-old drum major Lloyd Bailey, the Burnside pipe band met the official car and piped it to the main entrance gate. The Duke and Duchess were received by the Director of the Homes, Rev. R. G. McIntyre, and the Moderator General, Rev. A. C.Grieve. Opening the ceremony, Mr. G. Wright said that the homes had been occupied by the Army during the most critical years of the Pacific war, the children having been evacuated to Springwood. Representing the Minister for the Army, Lieut.-General F. H. Berriman said that the Homes had made history, -for it was from there that the entire defence of New South Wales had been organised during the dark days of 1943. "Burnside can be proud of the part it has played in victory, and must never forget its sons who gave their lives for freedom," said the Duke. "Of the Homes themselves, I can say that there is no greater work than that which teaches of Christ and shelters his children in the cause of humanity." The Duke then unveiled the tablet, which is situated outside the Sargood Hall inside the main gate. Mr. McIntyre thanked the Duke and Duchess for their visit.
Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate (Parramatta, NSW),
25 September 1946.
|Address:||1 Masons Drive, Burnside School, North Parramatta, 2151|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.793333|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1942|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 18th September, 1946|
THIS TABLET WAS UNVEILED BY THE DUKE OF GLOUCESTER THE GOVERNOR GENERAL OF AUSTRALIA ON THE 18TH SEPTEMBER 1946 TO RECORD THE OCCUPATION OF THE BURNSIDE HOMES BY THE SECOND AUSTRALIAN ARMY DURING THE CRITICAL YEARS 1942 -1945 WHEN AUSTRALIA AS PART OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE WAS ENGAGED IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR.