Surat Memorial Park Print Page
Surat Memorial Park and town water supply are dedicated to men of the Warroo Shire who lost their lives in World War Two.
The words Surat Memorial Park on the arch over the entrance to the park are flanked with two brass plaques with etched borders of Australian wildflowers including Waratah and flannel flowers. One plaque contains the names of the fallen while the second plaque states that the town water scheme has been dedicated by the people of Surat and District as a memorial to the men who lost their lives in World Two.
The Surat Town Water Supply Scheme and the Memorial Park were officially opened by the Minister for Public Works and Housing, Mr Paul Hilton on the 9th June 1951. Mr Hilton said the Memorial Park was a fitting thanksgiving to those who had fought and paid the supreme sacrifice. The park adjoining the water supply buildings was an expression of the people's regard for soldiers of the Shire who had fought for freedom and a plaque was attached to the memorial gates bearing the names of those who gave their lives in the Second World War.
Western Star (Roma), 15th June 1951.
|Address:||Marcus & Charlotte Streets, Memorial Park, Surat, 4417|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.151441|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 9th June, 1951|
Surat Memorial Park
[ Names ]
1939 - 1945
The Town Water Supply has been dedicated by the people of Surat and district to the men who lost their lives in the Second World War.