Rocky Creek War Memorial ParkPrint Page
Rocky Creek War Memorial Park is dedicated to those who served at the Rocky Creek Australian Army Hospital or the troops that trained or provided unit support on the Atherton Tableland area during the World War Two. Unit plaques are mounted free of charge on a granite obelisk supplied from the local Wongabel Quarries and erected by the Atherton Shire Council. The only cost to units or associations is the purchase and delivery of the plaque.
The Memorial Park was established in 1995 primarily through the initial efforts of Tim Foley, Mark Alcock and Myra Jones. The Atherton Shire Council is the custodian of the crown land and the park has been developed in an association between the Council and the Rocky Creek War Memorial Park Committee. The units represented in the Memorial Park have an association with the Rocky Creek Australian Army Hospital or the troops that trained or provided unit support on the Atherton Tableland area during the World War Two.
The Memorial Park is situated on the site of the 2/2 Australian General Hospital laundry and medical stores site at Rocky Creek adjoining the Kennedy Highway near Tolga on the Atherton Tableland. The park has been chosen as the appropriate location due to the cultural, spiritual, historical and sentimental value to the local community. Several Army Divisions camped on the Atherton Tablelands during 1942-45. Approximately 60,000 Australian soldiers were treated for war related conditions at these hospitals, by a caring and efficient staff of approximately 2,000. Many were rehabilitated at the adjoining 2/1 Convalescence Depot. The complex was recognised as the largest military hospital in the Southern Hemisphere.
|Address:||Kennedy Highway, Rocky Creek, 4882|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.1825|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1995|
ROCKY CREEK WAR MEMORIAL PARK
THEIR SERVICE OUR HERITAGE
WELCOME TO YOUR PARK
Further data available on information boards
situated on Western side of park.
ENJOY YOUR STAY
( World War Two Plaque)
In Recognition of the
Foundation Members Responsible for
The Establishment of Rocky Creek
Myra Jones B E M
Jim Chapman O A M