5th Australian Farm CompanyPrint Page
The 5th Australian Farm Company plaque is dedicated to the memory of Captain James Harris and his men who grew food on the Atherton Tablelands during World War Two. Catalinas also flew produce to the troops fighting in Papau New Guinea.
The plaque was donated by the Department of Primary Industry to celebrate the Department's century of service to the rurual community.
|Address:||Kennedy Highway, Rocky Creek Memorial Park, Rocky Creek, 4882|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.1825|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 13th August, 2000|
5th Australian Farm Company
Australian Army Service Corps
Dedicated in memory of
Captain James Harris and his men
on 13 August 2000
The unit grew food for the personnel of the units that trained
and were stationed across the Atherton Tableland during
World War 11. Catalina`s also flew produce from Cairns to the
troops fighting in P.N.G.
This unit was located initially at Aitchison`s farm, Kulara and
then relocated to the site of the
DPI`s Kairi Research Station on 1 April 1942
Donated by the
Department of Primary Industries
to celebrate DPI's Century of Service to the Rural Community