2nd / 5th Australian Independent Company (2nd/ 5th Australian Commando Squadron) Print Page
Plaque is dedicated to all members who served with the units during World War Two.
In June 1943, the 2/5th regrouped at the army’s jungle warfare centre at Canugra, Queensland. In August the company moved to Wongabel, on the Atherton Tablelands. While it was there, all independent companies were reorganised into cavalry commando squadrons. Consequently, in October, it became the 2/5th Cavalry (Commando) Squadron, attached to the 7th Division.
|Address:||Kennedy Highway, Rocky Creek Memorial Park, Rocky Creek, 4882|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.1825|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 14th August, 2005|
2/5 AUSTRALIAN INDEPENDENT COMPANY
2/5 AUSTRALIAN COMMANDO SQUADRON
NEW GUINEA- SALAMAUA, HEATH`S, MARKHAM,
NADZAB, MUBO, WANDUMI, WAU
BORNEO - BALIKPAPAN, MILFORD HWY
THIS MEMORIAL IS DEDICATED TO ALL MEMBERS WHO SERVED
AND AS A TRIBUTE OF HONOUR TO THOSE WHO GAVE
THEIR TOMORROWS FOR OUR TODAY
"LEST WE FORGET"